Thursday, June 19, 2008

Watch out for traps



Psalms 142:3 When I grow weak, you know what I'm going through. In the path where I walk, people have hidden a trap to catch me.

Matthew 6:13 Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted. Save us from the evil one.

Matthew 26:41 "Watch and pray. Then you won't fall into sin when you are tempted. The spirit is willing. But the body is weak."

1 Peter 5:8 Control yourselves. Be on your guard. Your enemy the devil is like a roaring lion. He prowls around looking for someone to chew up and swallow.

1 Corinthians 10:13 You are tempted in the same way all other human beings are. God is faithful. He will not let you be tempted any more than you can take. But when you are tempted, God will give you a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Isn't God great!!! And, I'm so glad that God loves me in spite of my sinful nature. But to be more clear, God loves me, but hates my sin. God also knows just how hard it is for me to walk with him - and be perfect. In fact, he knows that I'm not perfect, but loves me in spite of myself. That was the reason He sent His son - Jesus. Jesus was the only way that made it possible for me to even be able to stand in front of Him. Through Jesus, God looks at me, and sees Jesus' blood and He recognizes who I am.

Again, God knows how difficult my Christian walk is, because He saw what it was that His son Jesus went through. After Jesus was baptized, He was lead by the Spirit to the wilderness to be tempted by Satan. Can you imagine, being face to face with Satan? Who could stand up against that? Also, Jesus was constantly followed around by the Pharisees, who were intent on trapping him, who constantly tried to snare Him in His words. Jesus prevailed, and I can too with His help.

I must use the resources that are available to me in Christ in order to prevail. I am not saying that I never fall or stumble. I do. I am a sinner. But I must remain focused and press on toward my goal of walking with Him.

Heavenly Father, I pray that you will always watch over me. You know that I am unworthy of your gift, and that on my own, I am nothing. Thank you for loving me and caring for me. I pray that you will remind me each time I am weak, of the life you lived, and of the terrible punishment that you went through on my behalf. Help me to feel guilty when I sin and to be sorry. Forgive me when I sin. Help me to get back up and continue my walk with you. I also pray for my friends, that they too might be made strong when we are apart. Help us to strive to be together and be united in You. Help me to love my brothers, and care for them the same way you cared for me. I love you. I make this prayer and petition through your most holy and righteous son - Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Paul! I especially appreciate your statement about using the resources available to us in Christ. I so often fall into thinking it's all up to my own abilities. That's quite a trap!

    Thank you for your kind comments on my blog, too. I really appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete