Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Great Copy-cat



The Mockingbird is the most widely-known songbird in America. It is the state bird of Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi, and Texas. It is best known for its singing abilities. Not only can it perform songs from 39 other species of birds, but it also can mimic sounds such as that of a barking dog, squeaky hinges, notes from a piano and even a cackling hen, so expertly that even an electronic analysis could not tell the difference between the mockingbird and the original. These birds have extraordinarily diverse repertoires acquired through imitating the calls, songs and parts of songs of other birds, other animals such as dogs and cats, humans, mechanical sounds, and even the sounds of other mockingbirds. Males typically sing more than females and un-mated males usually sing more than mated males. Un-mated male Mockingbirds can often be heard singing all night long if they are roosting next to street lights.
I'd like to read one verse that would be the focus of this study. It is:

1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.

I understand that I should not pick out one single verse to make a point. So, I must first give a little background. The apostle Paul is warning the Corinthians that they too should imitate him. In fact, apostle Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:27 "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." And in the following chapter, Paul further explains that they have many distractions that they must avoid. He talks about how God was displease with His people whom he led out of Egypt. How that they soon forgot about how God destroyed Pharaoh's army, and led them through the Red Sea. They soon began to please themselves by becoming lustful and desired sinful things. How that they also created idols to serve like the Egyptians did. How that they also grumbled against God and tempted Him and sinned. Paul warns them in verse 6 of chapter 10 that "these things became our examples," and again in verse 11 "Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition," It is once again here, that I'm reminded of my friendly Mockingbirds. They are able to observe others, to listen to others and duplicate. They can learn from others. Like us, we can learn from others. We can learn by other's examples and be admonished or provoked to do better than they did. We can learn from other peoples mistakes. It is a very large reason why we have the Bible as we know it today. God, in his supreme wisdom allowed us to know how he dealt with others - in both good and bad circumstances. God speaks to us today through His word - through His Spirit. And we can copy or duplicate that same spirit - or not.
I am amazed at every thing God has given to us. For us to be able to learn such simple little truths as that of the Mockingbird can teach us is truly inspiring. Please take the time to look around and observe His creation. Allow Him to teach you through His world. Most of all, as apostle Paul said it best, "Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

Am I Listening to what God is Saying in His Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment