Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Be With Me Lord



From time to time, I find myself struggling with making a right or wrong choice. Okay, that may sound like I only have an occasional problem. Actually, every day - throughout the day, I find myself struggling with making the right or wrong decision. I pray to God to help me make the right choices. I pray to God to help keep me strong.

The thought re-occurred to me today and as soon as I had the thought, a chill ran down my back. I wonder if after I just finished praying, if the devil just asked God if he can tempt me. Because as I sit here feeling all energized from my prayer, I suddenly remembered a few quotes in the bible about this sort of thing....

And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren." But he said to Him, "Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death." Then He said, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me." - Luke 22:31-34

And also this one...

One day, angels came to the Lord. Satan also came with them. The Lord said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered, "From traveling all around the earth. I've been going from one end of it to the other." Then the Lord said to Satan, "Have you thought about my servant Job? There isn't anyone on earth like him. He is honest. He does what is right. He has respect for me and avoids evil." "You always give Job everything he needs," Satan replied. "That's why he has respect for you. Haven't you guarded him and his family? Haven't you taken care of everything he has? You have blessed everything he does. His flocks and herds are spread all through the land. "But reach out your hand and strike down everything he has. Then I'm sure he will speak evil things against you. In fact, he'll do it right in front of you." The Lord said to Satan, "All right. I am handing everything he has over to you. But do not touch the man himself." Then Satan left the Lord and went on his way. - Job 1:6-12

Now Job was a great man. Of course I remember what most of Job was all about. But in the end, Job remained faithful and never "cursed God and died". He had the attitude, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him." - Job 13:15

How do I compare? Lord, Increase My Faith! Lord, I pray that you will watch over me. That you will be there for me when I face decisions. That you will hold my hand, lift me up, turn my head - my face - my body, lead me, carry me - bless me. Lord, thank you for your blessings. You have given me so much - so much more than many others. Physically, You've blessed me with Godly parents, a Godly wife, with children, with a home, with a job, with a car, with food, with clothes, with health, with protection, and with so much more. Spiritually, You've blessed me with forgiveness, mercy, love, grace, faithful examples found in Your word, with many Christian friends to help support me, and with so much more. Thank you for hearing my prayers. Thank you for watching over me. Amen.

Do I Hear What God Is Saying In His Word?

2 comments:

  1. I hear countles things. I hear God saying preach the gospel, feed the hungry, cloth those who need clothes, take care of the widows and orphans, love above all things. I want to thank you for dealing with is great subject. I enjoy our blog. It is well worth my time to read. It has been such a source of encouragment and spiritual growth to me. Thank you brother. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding us how real Satan is. It's easy to forget that. I think he hopes we will forget. Right on, Paul!

    ReplyDelete