Sunday, April 20, 2008

The DISC "C" Personality Type



I learned something about myself, that I never really knew. Or maybe the thought crossed my mind, but didn't fully know or realize it. This morning, in our new Married class in church, which focuses on building better marriages by learning to become a better person, I learned a lot about myself that I didn't know. Why do I act a certain way? Why do I interact with others a certain way? Why do my emotions get the best of me sometimes? Why do I treat my wife and kids the way I do. Why do I work the way I do? I was so interested after our class, that I wanted to know further about me, so I did a quick little research, (a major personality characteristic of the "C" type personality) and my eyes were opened a little further. Now it's been said that most people are hardly ever 100% single personality, but they share some other personality traits, and this further makes everyone unique. In fact, those of you who are familiar with the DISC behavioral style analysis ( I found my information here: http://www.wittcom.com/what_is_DISC.htm ) might be interested to know that I was about 60% "C" type and 40% "S" type. So you can understand a little bit more about me, I'll share with you my findings:

  • I have a strong desire to be right - (C)
  • I spend a long time in research before I can make a decision - (C)
  • I feel as though I am accurate and that my decisions are logical - (C)
  • I am a stickler for rules and regulations and guidelines - (C)
  • I am interested in boiling a solution down to its finest detail - (C)
  • I prefer to work alone - (C)
  • I have very high standards for myself, and wish those same qualities on everyone else - (C)
  • I am a perfectionist at certain things. - (C)
  • I respect the way things have always been done, and I am slow to change - (S)
  • I work hard — often behind the scenes — at creating a stable, harmonious environment - (S)
  • I dislike conflict and sudden change - (S)

I am motivated by:

  • being right, or finding the right answer - (C)
  • having access to information and data - (C)
  • having the time to investigate the problem - (C)
  • being dealt with in a reserved and courteous manner - (C)
  • Working in a stable, harmonious environment where I can complete one task at a time - (S)
  • Having clearly defined — and unchanging — rules and expectations - (S)

I am deflated when:

  • I deal with sudden or abrupt change - (C)
  • I am required to socialize - (C)
  • I am required to deal with emotionally charged situations - (C)
  • I lack the time to process information or to evaluate the consequences - (C)
  • I work in a manner that lacks quality control, organization, or regulations - (C)

When I am stressed I can:

  • suffer from analysis paralysis - (C)
  • get bogged down in the details, never coming to a conclusion - (C)
  • withhold information and become stubborn - (C)
  • become overly critical, of myself, and of others - (C)
  • give ideas, instead of selling ideas - (C)

Here's a few things that I can work on to be a better person:

  • Become more open to other people's ways of thinking and communicating
  • Learn when it is appropriate to settle for good enough
  • Gain perspective on the consequences of being wrong
  • Know that I don't have to know everything before voicing an opinion or making a decision

I'm telling you guys, it would be helpful if we all could really open up further, so that we can learn each other's strength's and weaknesses - in an effort to better understand each other. Now I know why I am what I am, and now you also know.

3 comments:

  1. Cool Paul,

    I went to the website and looked at more horrible characteristics about being a "D" personality, but you know it does give good insight into why I am the way I am. Thanks for the link, man the class is going great isnt it? I would like to say more but you know how us D's can be. We are short and to the point.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right Andy. And now everyone knows why I'm so long winded, and my post take up two to three pages. Well, everyone may have already knew it buy me. But now I know. I'll shut up now. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all,

    The assessments classify four aspects of behavior by testing a person's preferences in word associations. These four dimensions can be grouped in a grid with D, and I sharing the top row and representing extroverted aspects of the personality, and C and S below representing introverted aspects. This system of dimensions of observable behavior has become known as the universal language of behavior. Thank you...

    Coaching Style

    ReplyDelete