Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's Seed Planting Time



Last month I started planting lots of seeds for my upcoming flower garden. For me, seeds that are planted and come to life are a reminder that God is our creator, and through His creation we can believe and come to know Him. Romans 1:20, Colossians 1:16.

You can see in the picture above that the plants that are now visible are casting off their old bodies. Do you see the seed shells of the sunflower seeds? They are no longer useful for the new plant that is growing. Just like they, we too will have a new body, and will cast off our old decaying body and be raised a new creation. Thanks to God!

Just like the seed is buried in the garden with hope for a resurrection of a new plant and future harvest, we too are buried with Christ in baptism, the symbol of being buried with Christ. We will also be joined with him in his resurrection. Casting off all unrighteousness, our old bodies which lived a life of sin, are then raised with Christ to live a new life. Romans 6:13

The Apostle Paul talks about this in 1 Corinthians 15:35-50 when he talks about the familiar practice of farming to the Corinthians when he speaks about sowing seeds into the ground, the seeds rotting and decomposing, but still being far from being permanently destroyed, but instead they grow up into something more beautiful than the seed. Seeds are normally dry and hard, but they spring up green and alive by the power of God. If God is able to demonstrate to us his abilities in the simple lives of seeds, how much more is God able to raise our corruptable decaying bodies from the dead, into a far more excellent body with will not see corruption? I admit, it's hard enough for me to understand much about seeds, and even harder for me to understand about the resurrection. But I believe.

This story brings us back to the Gospel. Christ died for our sins, [just as the scriptures said he would/did] and that he was buried, and that he rose again on the third day. [just as the scriptures said he would/did] - 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4. The early Christians didn’t understand his purpose for dying, until after he was raised. They came to understand Jesus' burial was a necessary but temporary prelude to his resurrection.

The Apostle Paul takes the connection one step further by applying it to baptism. In Romans 6:3-5, and Colossians 2:12, Paul symbolizes baptism as being buried with Christ. Through faith, Christians are then raised with Christ to walk a new life. So then, burial comes to be connected with the hope of a future resurrection, as shown in proof of Christ burial and resurrection, but also the reality of a new life in Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:20-23, 1 Thessalonians 4:14

Again, praise be to God for the hope that is found only in Christ Jesus! Romans 5:10

So, here’s my recommendation; go to the store and buy a pack of sunflower seeds. Plant the seeds either outside in your garden, or in pots and water them and care for them, and sit back and let God work in those seeds. I want you to witness the resurrection that God will work through those seeds. I want you to know, that you too can have that same hope of being resurrected in the same way those seeds were, and in the same way Jesus Christ was. Jesus went through it for us, as proof that God is faithful and will do the same for us.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry brother that it has been so long since I last commented but I havent felt like blogging in quit a while with the severe migraines that I have been dealing with. Please keep me in your prayers if you would.

    It amazes me how many times God and Christ refer to us, our souls, the word, and growth as that of a seed. I still can't move mountains even though I think I have faith as a mustard seed. I am growing and growing and am constantly praying that the weeds and rocks and lack of rain down kill me off before the harvest.

    Thank you Paul for this great blog and your post. Keep up the great work you do. You are always in my thoughts and prayers as you serve the living God who helps us grow in Him.

    ReplyDelete