Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I Am Thankful



Today was just beautiful! It was a nice, cool day with temps in the mid 60’s and mostly sunny. Perfect. I was also able to leave work early – even before lunch. As a result of my early departure from work, I took advantage of the extra time to go and get some Christmas shopping done. I found just what I wanted for the kids and nothing more. I swung by a food joint after my shopping to pick me up some lunch. On the way home, just as I crossed over the bridge, I had a very delightful sight. Someone had written on the back of their vehicle window in large letters with some window paint. It read, “GIVE THANKS!” How appropriate and how thoughtful this person was, to remind everyone who passed by to stop for a second and reflect on how blessed we are, and to acknowledge the one who blesses us. Honestly, at the time – just before I saw her vehicle, I was looking around at the nice day, thinking of what I had planned later that night, and even over the next couple of days. But I had to stop and give thanks to God for his blessings. But as I was praying, it seemed like I started running out of things to say. I began to stumble over my words and search for things to praise God for. So I decided that I would spend a little time this evening in thinking about just what it was that I was thankful for. Here’s a short list of blessings for which I am thankful:

I am thankful for the Beauty of the Earth. Mother Nature, as we sometimes call it was created by God. Romans 1:20, Romans 1:21 There is just so much to see in this world, that I will never be able to see it all. As beautiful as it is, we’re told not to love this world. 1 John 2:15 We’re also told that as Christians, there’s something better stored up for us on that day. Romans 8:23.

I am thankful for the Holy Spirit. More times than not, I feel inadequate in thanking God and asking God for help. I stumble and stammer for words to speak. I can’t even remember important prayers that need to be spoken, but I believe that God hears me. The Holy Spirit prays for me on behalf of all those I should pray for, and God looks into my heart to see my prayers and request. Romans 8:26, Romans 8:27, Romans 8:28

I am thankful for my great and Godly wife. My wife is worth far more than rubies. I trust her completely. She gives me everything I need. She loves to work. She gets up while it is still dark. She provides food for her family. She uses her money wisely to further prosper. She sees that her hard work pays off and is encouraged to continue working. Her lamp doesn't go out at night, she is the last to go to bed. She is compassionate to the poor. She is prepared for hard times. She speaks wisely. She teaches faithfully. She watches over family matters. She is busy all the time. I praise God for her. - Proverbs 31


I will continue to think long and hard about more of the blessings for which I am thankful, and will continue this same thought next time. In the mean time, don't forget to Give Thanks! Have a great Thanks Giving.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Just stopped by your blog, wanted to let you know I thought it was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! We should continually recognize that our blessings come from our Father and be eager to thank Him for them. I'm working on thanking him for trials and tribulations as well. I know these help me to learn obedience.

    Great list of blessings to be thankful for. I especially love what you wrote about your wife. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete