Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pray without Ceasing....



I've been challenged, tho not directly or even as a dare, but rather invited to participate with a group of Brothers in an evening of prayer. I've got to admit that I'm struggling to find the courage to attend this prayer meeting. In short, it would be the best thing that we could do, IMHO. But the courage to open myself up, and to be real with each other is also humbling. It is definitely an invitation that I know I should accept, however, it is one that causes me some hesitation. Not that I have something to hide. I know I am a sinner, and need God's forgiveness. I also know that he is faithful to forgive. It's more a decision that's based on my personality. The last time I was in a solid hour of prayer was with dear Elder from church and we traded prayer times, and each time I prayed, I became so choked up I found it hard to continue. I suppose that deep down, I realize that I'm in the presence of God Almighty, humbly bowing before Him in prayer. It is an awesome thing to stand in front of God our creator, and I am in awe of His prescence. So, in order to prepare myself mentally for this great form of encouragement, I quickly searched some scriptures to read and think upon. There are several examples found in the Bible of people praying for others. Here are just a few, and I pray that these will help to encourage you, and I hope that you will pray the same thing for me.

Jesus said, "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
- Luke 22:31-32

Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
- Ephesians 6:18-20

We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you, because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all the saints.
- Colossians 1:3-4

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.
- Colossians 4:2-4

How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy we have in the presence of our God because of you? Night and day we pray most earnestly that we may see you again and supply what is lacking in your faith.
- 1 Thessalonians 3:9-10

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
- James 5:16-18

Am I Listening to What God Is Saying In His Word?

4 comments:

  1. Paul,

    These scriptures are spot on and the reason we want to have this prayer session. Hope to see you there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such appropriate comments and scriptures. What a good reminder of how special prayer is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last Night's prayer group was awesome. We first went around the room, and got caught up with what's been happening in our lives the past few weeks, since we last met. To be able to share with others the victories and the defeats in our lives has really helped me over the past year in being able to share with others my triumphs and troubles. And I know it's been good for everyone there. We then broke up into groups of three, and separated ourselves, and just started taking turns praying. I am really blown away at the maturity my prayer partners have. I've always believed that good, well thought out prayers come from practice, and it's obvious to me that there are some practiced, prayerful, people in our group. Me, it's been hard because not only do I not talk much to others, I'm such a quiet natured person, I haven't talked much to God. A very big area of growth is needed on my part there - I guarantee you.

    My big dissapointment though is I feel guilty in being a part of such a wonderful Christian resource as this, and then look around at others who don't have this available to them. It's one thing for a person to be invited, and they not show up of their own free will. But it's completely different for the guy who has never been invited. We need to pray about it, and think about how to include those who want to join in. This is an awesome ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul,

    Great post Brother. For me, its those prayers that I end up sobbing and crying out of control that I feel God is most changing me from the inside out. Even though they are difficult to pray in the flesh, they are powerfully transforming in the spiritual.

    Actually, I love those prayers when I lose control. Even though it feels like others think I'm crazy, I know that God is changing my heart and convicting me with His Spirit, into His image. That's not an easy thing to do, but it is beneficial.

    Thanks for being an encouragement to me.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete